Some nights are darker than others...have you ever noticed that? There are so many variables; obviously a big one is where you are at, but also the atmosphere and the weather play a big part too and can discourage you and make it hard to find your way. I guess the same is true in life. I think all of us experience different dark nights of the soul, some are darker than others. A lot of it depends on where you are, spiritually. But the atmosphere and the weather play a huge part. When you have great support around you and hold on to your instructions (the Word of God), they can help you remember where you are and help you stay focused on what you need to.
I've always wanted to be able to say I'm not scared of the dark, but there are times I realize that it's not always true. I remember being in an unfamiliar field. We were far from the city, so there were no lights. It was so dark. I could hear animals near me, but I had no idea of anything going on around me. The ideas of what could happen to me without warning were numerous until I had only one thought: I NEED LIGHT. I could turn on the high-powered flashlight, so I was lucky. In a dark night of the soul, sometimes I feel the same way. I just need light, The Light. I know He hasn't changed, but it's just so dark, and I can't just "turn on the light." I had read that it's about trust. The Light is there. You just can't see it. But when you need Light, what you WANT is to SEE the light. Learning to trust that The Light is still there, still guiding you when you can't see on your own can be scary. Now, what if it started raining, even to the point of being muddy and slippery. The weather you're going through can feel unbearable, and even leave you dirty and bruised. But The Light is still there....hold to that truth and Keep an eye on your support and instructions until daybreak. Don't give up and don't trust just anybody. He's still in control. He will take care of you, even when you can't see it.
Okay, so basically, I am learning by leaps and bounds about my time here in Chicago. It has been by far the darkest I've known in my life. God has been so faithful, even when I haven't been. There have been some really hard times, times when I was just scared, beat up and torn apart at the seams, but looking back, I am thankful for even those darkest moments. They are all a part of me. Many times, I thought I was "stuck on survive," wondering if I would make it through. It's not that things are easy (by NO means), but I can at least see the Light now...and can see that it was there the whole time. So if you're going through dark times, I urge you to live knowing the Light is still there, knowing you will see it again, someday. This world isn't our home anyways, all we have to do IS survive this world (living our lives in the Light-even if we can't see it) then we go home to the perfection of our Daddy.
I pray that each of you feel the comfort of your Father's arms, but when you don't, I pray that you will be given the strength to know He's still holding you.